Student Visa (Study/Research /Internship)

Student Visa (Study/Research /Internship)

A. Student :

  • A Student visa is granted to an individual who produces proof of admission to a full-time course in a recognized educational institution in India.
  • For school education, for higher education (including in South Asian University and Nalanda University), provisional student visa for short term courses and for those coming under Student Exchange Programme.
  • For studies in Yoga, Vedic culture and Indian systems of music and dance and for Buddhist studies.
  • For Theological studies and for Missionary students.
  • In case of admission in a medical or para-medical course a letter of approval or a "No Objection Certificate" from the Ministry of Health should be submitted.
  • Theological studies : A student visa will be granted for the duration of the course or for a period of one year, whichever is less, to students who want to come to India for theological studies in the following Universities/Institutions:
  1. Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
  2. University of Calcutta.
  3. Jamia Hamdard, Hamdard Nagar, New Delhi.
  4. Jamia Milia Islamia, Jamia Nagar, New Delhi
  5. Osmania University, Hyderabad.
  6. Gujarat University, Ahmedabad.
  7. North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon.
  8. University of Calicut, Calicut.
  9. Kerala University, Thiruvananthapuram.
  10. University of Mumbai, Mumbai.
  11. M.S. University of Baroda, Vadodara.

B. Research Scholars :

  • For Research scholars, visiting research faculty, research scholar on bilateral exchange programme, members of botanical scientific anthropological etc., expeditions.
  • An individual who desires to undertake research in India should apply giving the Synopsis, subject of the research, details of places to be visited, letter for recommendation/support from the institute in USA, Original letter of invitation from the Indian institute on their letterhead and evidence of source of funding.
  • Research Visa for OCI card holders -
  • Persons of Indian origin holding an OCI Card do not have to apply for a research visa. However, based on the purpose OCI holders have to upload documents on the website to apply for special permission to conduct research in India.

    Please visit and apply for special permission to avoid any problem at immigration post or FRRO after arriving in India.

 C. Internship :

Student visa will be granted to those who are coming for internship in India (in Indian companies, Educational Institutions and NGOs). Including those coming under French VIE programme. Student visa for internship is subject to the following conditions:-

    • granted to pursue internship – at any time during the course of study; or immediately after completion of graduation/ post graduation but the gap between the completion of graduation/ post graduation and the commencement of the internship should not be more than two years. In these two years visa will be granted for not more than two times for a maximum period of one year each time.
    • letter from the Indian company/ educational institution/ NGO/ foreign Missions or Posts in India/ foreign government organizations concerned sponsoring the foreign national for the internship programme and clearly indicating the period of internship is required.
    • For internship in a Company, the foreign national being sponsored for internship should draw a minimum remuneration of Rs.3.60 lakhs per annum. There will be no minimum salary limit in the case of internship in Educational institutions, NGOs, foreign Missions or Posts in India and foreign government organizations.
    • It will not be issued for internship in certain areas/sectors (i.e. Defense, Space, Telecom etc.). Minimum processing time will be 7-8 weeks for Student visa for Internship with NGOs.
    • Foreign nationals granted Student visa for doing internship will have to register themselves with the Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO)/ Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) concerned within 14 days of arrival in India if continuous stay is for more than 180 days.
    • Under no circumstances, the foreign national will be allowed to take up employment in India immediately after completion of the internship programme. Conversion of this visa into Employment visa or any other types of visa will not be permitted. In case the foreign national receives any offer for employment in India, he/she will have to go back to the country of his/her origin/ domicile and apply for ‘Employment Visa’ at the Indian Mission/ Post concerned.
    • Earning from internship of the foreign nationals with Indian companies/ Educational Institutions/ NGOs will be subject to the Indian Income Tax Regulations.”


1.  No Student Visa will be issued if it is sponsored by franchise educational institutes running off-campus centers, study centers of Open Universities offering distance learning programmes, educational institutes running “outreach” programmes and offering courses without any statutory sanction from regulatory authorities.

2.  Student Visa will not be issued for pursuing ‘Short Term Courses’ which are not recognized.

3. List of recognized institutions are available on, and List of institutes approved by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) is available on their website